Words by em Staff
10 Things You Didn’t Know About Celery
- It’s a myth that you burn more calories eating a celery stalk than the celery contains.
- Celery was introduced to the Bloody Mary by chance when a bar guest thought to use a sturdy stalk as a stirrer.
- Expecting a hangover? Live like the Romans and wear a wreath of celery to ward off the side effects.
- It’s been reported that some celery varieties have grown to over 3 feet tall!
- All parts of celery are edible—even the leaves.
- Gnaw on some celery after a meal to help clean your teeth.
- The Greeks used to present their winning athletes with “celery bouquets” as a reward.
- Celery has only been used as food since the 1600s. Before that, it was used for medicinal purposes.
- The darker the celery stalk, the stronger its flavor.
- Some sources say that celery was first used as food by the Italians as a dessert of roasted celery, honey, and pepper.